1-800-616-2383 | CONTACT

What are the Current Abortion Laws?

Understanding the Judicial Process

During the parental consent waiver process, you have the right to:

File a petition in your county of residence or in the county where the abortion will be performed. Judicial waivers cannot by obtained for patients out of state.

A speedy process

A lawyer, at no cost to you


Answers to your questions and help filling out your forms.

The court shall grant your petition for waiver of the parental consent requirement if:

You are mature and well informed enough to intelligently decide to have an abortion without the consent of a parent or guardian.

It is in your best interest to have an abortion.

Preparing For Court

While it is often easier to go to court in your home county, sometimes juvenile judges in large counties with a family court will be more familiar with the process. You may also have personal reasons for wanting to go outside your county for the judicial consent. Call the courthouse and find out where to go to file a petition to waive parental consent for an abortion. Your local courthouse should be able to give you the phone number of courthouses in other counties. We recommend you receieve 48 counseling at the clinic prior to filing a judicial waiver. The counseling session will prepare you to answer questions the judge may ask you. Some of the judges are pro-life and many deny your petition based on their own personal beliefs and this should be not allowed. Always contact West Alabama Women’s Center immediately after finding out your results.

Please be Sure to Check the Following Additional Resources:

How to Obtain Consent if you are Under 18

What to Expect From An Abortion Counseling Visit & Consent Information

Abortion Frequently Asked Questions

To Book An Appointment or for additional information please feel free to Contact us at anytime at 1-800-616-2383 or 205-556-2026